Physical Therapist Assistant Program
Starts each January
Housatonic Community College and Naugatuck Valley Community College
ALL PTA courses are taken at Naugatuck Valley Community College but you remain a HCC student and allof your other courses may be taken at HCC.
YOU MAY ONLY APPLY AT ONE SCHOOL TO GET ADMITTED TO THE PTA PROGRAM
REQUIREMENTS for PTA program admission
- All students must take the Acculpacer placement tests in English, mathematics, and reading and place above the developmental level. If not, all of the Developmental courses need to be completed as per your placement test.
- High School Students the following is required to start the program right after graduation:
- one year of biology
- one year of chemistry or physics with a lab component
- one year of Algebra II
ALL with grades of "C" or better (Better if preferable) AND ALL within the last five years
3. College Students- the following course requirements must be taken within 5 years of admission date(October 15 of the year you submit your application):
- must submit a high school transcript (or G.E.D.)
- ALL coursese must be C or higher
a. Biology 105 This is a HCC requirement for Anatomy and Physiology. Each school may have different requirements.
b. Intermediate Algebra 137
c. Chemistry 111 (this is a pre-requisite for Anatomy and Physiology I)
4. ALTERNATE SOLUTION TO ABOVE COURSES IF YOU TOOK THEM MORE THAN 5 YEARS AGO (e.g. you have a degree, AA, AS or BA, BS, etc): Satisfactory scores on the CLEP in chemistry or physics are acceptable in meeting these requirements.
The Accuplacer for Math may be taken to prove competency in Math 137 so a retake of the course may not be necessary. This would be necessary for those applicants who had Math more than 5 years ago.
5. Anatomy and Physiology I and II must be completed within the 5 years prior to entering the PTA program and with a minimum grade of "C."
- Students enrolled in Anatomy and Physiology I during the Fall Semester, and who have met all other admissions criteria, may be offered conditional acceptance to the program based on achieving a minimum grade of "C" at the end of the semester.
- Official transcripts or final grade(s) must be submitted as soon as they are available. The minimum course to meet this requirement is BIO*211 or equivalent
6. Earn a minimum GPA of 2.5 for all previous college work.
7. Submit all HCC application materials, including official high school and college transcripts.
8. The PTA Program application is a separate application from HCC and must be submitted via mail or dropped off to Dr. Cercone at email@example.com or 203-332-5177 by October 15 of the year prior to which the student seeks entrance to the PTA program.
ALL OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS NEED TO BE SENT TO DR. CERCONE AS WELL AS HCC FOR SCHOOL ADMISSION
9. Students must be able to perform common physical therapy functions as defined in the program's Essential Requirements. Contact the program contact person to receive a copy of this document.
10. In addition to tuition and fees, students accepted into the PTA program must pay for books, appropriate attire for internships, and transportation. Students must complete and verify all required immunizations and provide certification by the American Heart Association in CPR for the Health Care Provider before the start of clinical activities.
11. Flu shots may be required by some health care facilities.
12. Background Criminal Checks may be required at the student's expense.