Admissions to HCC

Applying for Transfer to Housatonic

From the 2013-2014 Catalog

Receiving Transfer Credit

An applicant who has attended another post-secondary institution (college/training institute) and wishes to have transfer credits earned from another accredited academic institution applied towards his or her degree at Housatonic Community College must fulfill the following requirements:

1. An applicant who has attended another post-secondary institution (college/training institute) must request official transcript(s) of previous course work be sent to the HCC Admissions Office;

2. Official college transcript(s) from previous college(s) can be mailed directly or hand delivered in a sealed envelope to the Admissions Office. Official transcripts are imprinted with a raised college seal;

3. Transfer students are required to provide course descriptions for any course work completed ten years ago or more;

4. The applicant must be enrolled in a degree or certificate program and currently attending classes.

Checklist for Receiving Transfer Credits

Student must be in a Degree/Certificate Program in order to transfer credits into Housatonic Community College.

1. New and Transfer students: notify the Admissions Office immediately about transfer credits from previous college(s). Re-Admit and Continuing students can bring copies of the unofficial transcript(s) to Academic Advising Center for advising purposes only. Official transcripts need to be sent to the Admissions Office. Please see #2.

2. Request "Official" college transcript(s) from previous college(s) be mailed directly to the Admissions Office. Official transcripts are imprinted with a raised college seal and can be mailed or hand delivered directly to the Admissions Office in a sealed envelope. The Admissions Office will not accept hand delivered transcripts that have been opened as being official.

3. The Admissions Office will notify students by mail upon receipt of their official college transcript(s). Once receipt of official college transcript(s) is confirmed by the Admissions Office, an academic advisor will evaluate the transcript(s) and award any applicable transfer credit. Courses accepted as transfer credit will appear on the student's HCC transcript which can be found online at The Academic Advising Center will notify students by mail once the transfer credit evaluation has been completed. Note: Not all credits accepted may apply to the major. Students are encouraged to see their faculty advisor for details.

4. What if my "Official" transcripts are not available at this time? Students must bring an "Unofficial" transcript for advising purposes. "Unofficial" transcripts can be photocopies of the transcript(s) or final semester grade reports. (You must follow up with Steps 2 and 3.)

5. Bridgeport Hospital School of Nursing graduates are responsible for having their official transcripts sent directly to the Admissions Office.

6. Please note: The Academic Advising Center evaluates transcripts as they are received from the Admissions Office, as expeditiously as possible. During Open and Late Registration periods, students are encouraged to bring a copy of their unofficial transcript(s) for advising and registration.

Transfer Students

Board Policy 3.17.1 Transfer

At all Community Colleges, degree and certificate credit shall be granted only for credit courses completed at all institutions within the Connecticut state system of higher education and at all other collegiate institutions accredited by an agency recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation as either a "Regional Accrediting Organization" or a "Specialized and Professional Accrediting Organization" in accordance with the following:

1. Degree and certificate credit shall be granted for all credit courses that are applicable to the objectives of, or equivalent to the course requirements of, the curriculum in which the transferring student enrolls. Credit work that is not applicable or equivalent to curriculum requirements shall be accepted for credit at the discretion of the college. Degree and certificate credit shall also be granted on the basis of performance on examinations in accordance with standards and limits approved by the board of trustees.

2. Degree and certificate credit shall be granted for credit courses completed with a letter grade of "C-minus" or better, or with a grade of "P" (Pass). Such credit courses shall be accepted only for credit, and letter grades assigned by other institutions shall not be recorded or included in computations of student grade point averages.

3. Notwithstanding the number of degree or certificate credits which shall be granted in accordance with the foregoing, the student must complete at least twenty-five percent of the minimum credit requirements for the degree or certificate through coursework at the college awarding the degree or certificate.

4. When a student seeks transfer credit for technical or specialty courses into a program that is also accredited by a national or regional specialized accrediting agency, such credits must be from a comparably accredited program. In the case of a request for transfer credit for technical or specialty courses from a non-specially accredited program, the college shall provide appropriate means for the validation of the student's competency in the technical specialty course areas.

5. This policy shall appear in all college catalogs.

(Adopted January 16, 1973; amended November 19, 1979; May 16, 2005; May 21, 2007)

The Admissions Office assists anyone needing further program information. A personal interview is optional, and those who wish may make an interview appointment by contacting the Admissions Office at 203-332-5100 or Email at