August 28, 2013
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT
ANSON SMITH AT 203-332-5229
HCC Offering Health and Wellness Class
Starts Sept. 30
BRIDGEPORT - Starting Sept. 30, Housatonic Community College will offer a six-week healthy living course.
The non-credit course, to be offered in conjunction with the Bridgeport YMCA, Bridgeport Hospital and the Kim Bensen Weight Loss Center, is designed to help students improve their quality of life through good nutrition, weight loss, diabetes prevention and control, strength training, and exercise.
The course was the brainchild of HCC Webmaster Rich Hubbard of Torrington, who lost 133 pounds in 13 months through exercise and nutrition. “As I discovered, health and wellness is a quality-of-life issue,” he said, “and it’s a discovery I want to share with others.”
The course, which will meet twice per week, will be taught jointly by a fitness expert, a health care professional, and a cooking expert. The course will cover:
- Week 1: Mon., Sept. 30, introduction to healthy living; Wed., Oct. 2, diabetes risk assessment.
- Week 2: Mon., Oct. 7, diabetes: maintaining your health; Wed, Oct. 9, understanding nutrition.
- Week 3: Tues., Oct. 15, Panel discussion on a variety of health topics, including understanding lab test results; Wed., Oct. 16, introduction to exercise.
- Week 4: Mon., Oct. 21, introduction to cardio exercise; Wed., Oct. 23, introduction to yoga,
- Week 5: Mon., Oct. 28, Introduction to Zumba; Wed., Oct 30, introduction to strength training.
- Week 6: Thurs, Nov. 7. Cooking I: building healthy meals; Fri., Nov. 8, healthy cooking.
The classes will meet from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Week 1-5 classes will be held in Room 125 in HCC’s Beacon Hall while the week 6 classes will be held off campus at the Kim Bensen Weight-Loss Center, 405 Bridgeport Ave., Shelton.
The fee is $99. For more information or to register, contact Continuing Education at 203-332-5057 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
HCC is located at 900 Lafayette Blvd. in downtown Bridgeport, less than 150 yards off I-95 (exit 27) and Rte. 8 (exit 1), a block from the Harbor Yard sports complex. Free parking is available in the Housatonic garage.